Monday 11 January 2010

Dart River Pinot Noir 2008 (Central Otago)

Now THIS is a nice wine. Possibly my favourite Pinot Noir thus far and unfortunately unavailable now.

The reason I like this wine so much is that it has a very strong and extremely pleasant 'strawberries and cream' flavour to it, whilst maintaining the iconic Pinot Noir sensibilities.

I had heard that Central Otago in NZ was pretty much the best place in the world for Pinot Noir and I can only agree. Dart River is apparently just a label for the wine as it was bought and distributed by Get Wines Direct in Australia.

They wont say which winery actually produced it, so I can't really replace my dwindling stocks. GWD say that it does retail for $55 under it's real name.
I could almost believe it.

I did end up buy a couple of dozen and actually bought the very last stocks from them. Some of which ended up as Christmas presents... Hmm... Lets hope that they were as loved as they are here!!

I have had one pinot that I liked from Tasmania and one from Victoria, but neither really matched this one for overall enjoyment. Please feel free to make suggestions as I am keen to find good Pinot Noir whenever I can.

Price: $18
Rating: 9.2

No comments: