Monday 11 January 2010

Witches Falls Syrah 2006 (Granite Belt)

A big surprise this one. A QLD red that ended up being extremely drinkable.

Bought by Jean on our last trip to Tamborine (an obligatory tasting purchase at the Cellar Door), we decided to try this one last night.
I was a bit dubious, because at the tasting it seemed to taste like every other Queensland Shiraz... but by the end of the bottle we both wished we had bought more.

Unfortunately, it comes in at $20 a bottle and I would assume that is the only place it's available at the moment. However, it tastes like a $20 bottle.

It has a nice nose of slightly sweet but oaky black currants. Now I am partial to black curranty tasting wines, so that won me over. It's a little spicy and just oaky enough to smooth it all out with really fine tannins.

With all due respect, I could not believe this was a QLD wine.
Definitely one to look out for if you happen to be visiting Mt Tamborine. It was my first visit to this winery and it will be the first place I go next time I'm there doing photos.

Price: $20
Rating: 9

(basically anything I think I could drink another bottle of straight away will be rating a 9 for me)(the various decimals that follow the 9 will just be there to help separate things)

No comments: