Thursday 1 May 2008

Penfold Bin 389 Cabernet Shiraz 2005



Well I have been a bit slack in the last week or so with writing up some of the amzing wines I have been lucky to try... I have bought multiple bottles, so I will get to them in time...

However, tonight it would have been amiss of me to omit a review of the new Penfolds Bin 389 2005. It's been a while since I have had any Penfolds wines and I have been saving this one for a special occasion (just happens to be our 4th wedding anniversary and we took a bottle to our favourite Italian Restaurant... Giadarnetto)

Ok. Well... in anticipation I started the wine breathing about 5.30 (about and hour and a half before we ate) this seemed like the perfect timing, as the wine was perfect from the first glass and lasted easily into the next couple of hours. A pleasant smooth nose and equally smooth palate, this wine was complex and delightful. (ok, delightful isn't a word I would use too often, but it seems appropriate here...) An equal balance of fruit (berry and other dark fruits) and oak (american, I'm guessing from the strong vanilla presence) with fine smooth tannins... this wine was possible the easiest and most pleasant to drink for me in many a moon.

I had read other people's encouraging reviews, so was most eager to try this and believe me... I will definitely keep an eye on any specials.

Drinkability 95 (yes, my highest rating ever)

Value 90 (for what you get, the price is ok)

Price $39.90 (on special Dan Murphys)

No comments: