Tuesday 6 May 2008

Gotham McLarenvale Shiraz 2007



Holy Sh*t Batman. This wine straight out of Gotham has just blown away anything in it's way!!

Now I'm a cynical person by nature, so if Get Wines Direct tell me something is the BEST WINE EVER, then I pretty much think that they could be trying to sell you a dud. But in this case... they were right.

In the under $10 price range there is nothing that comes close and to be honest, this wine is better than wines up to at least $25....

This Shiraz has the Gotham cigar box chocolate that I love so dearly, but it also has the ripest rasberry and smoothest finish. It is all class.

As soon as I had finished the first glass I ordered another dozen. My wife concurs and although she is one that ' likes what they like' she too was blown away by this wine. In fact I may even order another dozen by the time I finish this bottle.

$9.95 is as good as it gets and I hope that if you are reading this you get the opportunity to pick up some. Of course, this is a personal taste thing... I happen to adore the McLarenvale shiraz and this 2007 is simply wonderful.

Ok that's enough. Try it for your self...

Price $9.95 (Get Wines Direct)

Drinkability 91/92

Value 98

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried a bottle last night, and I must say that I was very disappointed. The wine had a very distinct "port" or fortified flavour. Not something I enjoyed, unfortunately. If the "Port" taset was not there it would be a cracker. Maybe I just got a bad bottle. Will try another tonight.

The Red Pool said...

Hmmm... thanks for writing, I have just opened another bottle to see how that goes. Will let you know. I definitely didn't get any 'port' taste. It was rich, but not overly so. Or if I did, I must have really liked it :)

The Red Pool said...

ok, just want to add to my last comment about the 'Port' taste...

... I think I know what you were saying, but for me it's definitely not a strong port flavour. There is a lot of 'christmas cake' fruit sweetness, but definitely not the strong dry mouthfeel that you get with port. For me personally, I find this an amazing quality in such a cheap drop. There is no strong acidity, yet a nice balance of the fruit with the combined french and american oak. I am still quite impressed with this wine and should well be... i just ordered another 2 dozen :)