Friday 18 April 2008

Penfolds Bin 707 Cabernet Sauvignon (Barossa Coonawarra) 1982

Time for something special and although this post is a little late, it still deserves mention.

A very pleasant surprise for Jean and I when we visited Stephen and Chris for lunch recently... easily the oldest vintage of anything I have tried. Bottle age really did make a difference and although our hosts seemed to think that it may have been better drinking maybe 10 years earlier, I was pretty impressed anyway.

Extremely smooth as you would expect from any top shelf Penfolds, but it was the fruit that gave it the distinct flavour. Memory fails me, but I do recall that it was reminiscent of my favourite "single vineyard' Barossa... but a few levels up in class.

You can see the amount of sediment on the sides of the bottle, it was full of it!!

I wont go on now, but I was extremely fortunate to share that bottle (and others) on a great afternoon. Hopefully I'll get to see a few of the bottles I've been collecting reach such maturity in time and be able to share them too.


Drinkability : 94
The afternoon : 100 :)

No comments: