Monday 31 December 2007

Wynn's John Riddoch Coonawarra Cab Sav 2004


New Years Eve and I have decided to try one of the 'Premium' wines that I bought a few months ago... The Wynns John Riddoch 2004.
A little daunting as this is my first over $50 bottle and I don't want to miss out on catching it at the right moment. As it was, I let it breathe in the bottle for a good couple of hours and although that was not quite enough, it still showed it's class.
A little tight even after that amount of time, it was a nice blend of smoky chocolate - more oak than anything else but not harsh at all. Quite dry too, but again, all in good balance.
As time went on and it oxidised more, the wine became fruitier, spicier and a lot smoother. There is a lot of promise here. It ended up being a mighty fine drop...
I did like this and maybe drank it a little too early, my mistake, I should have decanted.
This wine will last a good many years yet, so I think I will leave the other bottle for quite a while to come.
Drinkability 93/94 (will be excellent in a couple of years or if decanted)
Value 85
Price $58 (Kemenys)
HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

No comments: