Tuesday 10 February 2009

Capel Vale "Howecoft' Merlot 1998 (Margaret River)

Damn.
This wine is magnificent. Showing all the class of the Margaret River and the benefits of a bit of age.

Had this bottle with my good friend Ben over in Perth. He was saving this for a special occasion and I'm so glad that he did. It's been a while since I've seen him and he was my tour guide on my recent pilgrimage to the Margaret River. But I'll talk about that later...

Unfortunately we didn't make it to the Capel Vale winery, but while I was over there we drank only wines from the region. That wasn't difficult.  :)

This merlot was quite simply brilliant. It reeked class in a way that I didn't expect from a merlot. I don't mean to sound wanky about Merlot, but it's never really my favourite style.
This had an almost honey and citrus nose, with a very smooth and almost smoky rich mouthfeel.

I'm going to have to try and find more of this. For special occasions.

Rating: 9.6
Price:   not sure yet, but will find out.

2 comments:

elemento said...

If it's any help, and I have to admit it's inexact, I'm pretty sure I got little change out of $80 for the bottle when I bought it at the cellar door, back in 2007. That said, it was a while ago and while it was our first stop, I was already, uh, 'savoring the region'...

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!