Monday 4 February 2008

Seppelt Dorrien Cabernet Sauvignon 1999 (Barossa)


A special treat tonight for a special occasion.. today was my last day at work before I start at university. This Seppelt Dorrien Estate was bought as part of my leaving present. The other part being a 2004 Torbreck 'The Factor' which i will keep til I finish at Uni.
I decided to drink this as it really is a big occasion, I have worked at ALS for almost 11 years and to leave a job at my age is pretty farking scary. However... I digress...
This wine was selected by the guy that has taught me more about wine than anyone so far... he rated it very highly. 1999 was apparently not a bad year, so I really was expecting something special...
This wine was quite nice. It started out well and held it's charm throughout the bottle. Now I don't really want to compare, but this was very similar to the 2000 La Testa Blend. Very dark fruit and very smooth. However, it was less syrupy than the La Testa and I enjoyed it a lot more.
At roughly $50 a bottle I would have expected more though. It's probably just my naivety but I would probably choose the $17 La Testa over the Seppelt, even if the La Testa was on special etc etc... you get the picture.
A really nice wine with a distnctive fruit driven flavour. I rate it highly as it is a classy wine, but for value, you can find cheaper (if a little inferior)
Drinkability 93/94
Value 88
Price $40? (It was a present)

No comments: