Monday 10 December 2007

Vasarelli Pallino McLarenvale Cab Sav Shiraz 2004


What's in a label? I don't know, but the fact you get a leather tie with two wooden balls appealed to me. This wine was reduced for me from $50 a bottle to $30 a bottle and I have waited til now to try it.
A Cellarmaster's label, but don't let that put you off. The Vasarelli's are well respected and deservedly so.
This is meant to be an icon wine and it is very good. Very oaky at first, but there is a nice berry fruit feel on the finish. It's a dry wine, but quite pleasing.
I wasn't as sold on it as I had expected to be, but that's wine. It's a matter of timing and taste.
I had tried the 2005 Pallino at the Cellarmaster's Barrel Tasting and that was better.
There are 5 more bottles in the cellar and I think that they will be there a long time yet. This should drink well until 2013, so there is plenty of time yet.
Drinkability 92
Value 86
Price $30 per bottle (Cellarmasters Wine Club)

No comments: