Tuesday 4 December 2007

Gotham Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon 2006



Well, this wine came as a surprise and a good one at that. We had enjoyed the Gotham Shiraz for what it was worth and this Cab Sav came recommended (albeit by Get Wines Direct)

We let this wine sit in the bottle for an hour or so and it had opened up nicely. A good vanilla oak nose and a real sweet rasberry palate and a hint of mint. Fairly smooth with firm but fine tannins made this wine as good as any Cab Sav in recent memory.

I think this wine will last a few more years yet and develop into a real winner. Apparently it's an ex - Wynns winemaker at the helm and he has done a great job.

I'm going to order another half dozen right now. It is that good..

Drinkability: 89

Value: 96

Price: $9.95 (Get Wines Direct)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I got a few dozen of these and have found them variable. I would like to know the history behind some of these 'special purchases' - maybe faulty wine??

The Red Pool said...

Hi Pieter,
I agree with you on this and having had subsequent bottles they all seem of 'Various' quality.
At the price it's ok, but I am not game to buy anything more expensive. Let me know of any others you have tried and found good or bad. Cheers
Ian