Friday 28 December 2007

Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet Shiraz 2003 (South Australia)


A Christmas pressie and a very welcome one. I have had a few bottles of the 2003 and have found it to be very nice indeed.
This one I let breathe in the bottle for a couple of hours and it had opened up nicely. A smooth new oak with berries were the most prominent flavours. The oak and acidity being quite prominent as is the Penfolds way.
Definitely not unpleasant by any means, it provides a tight structure that is swept up in the flurry of berries and possibly liquorice (aniseed at least)
This wine is all quality. Length and complexity abound. You really know you are drinking something nice with Bin 389.
It's a little dry, so I am assuming that there is more Cab Sav than Shiraz.
I do prefer the 2002 over all that I have tried, but I can tell that all of the most recent vintages need a lot more time. The 2003 probably needs the least though, but it could still use a couple more years.
Anyway, I really enjoyed this and as it's Christmas week, I am happy to (over)indulge :)
Drinkability 93
Value 89
Price $ not sure, this was a gift, but I think it retails at about $49.... ???

No comments: