Sunday 4 November 2007

Cellarmaster's Barrel Tasting Nov 2nd 2007


My first Cellarmasters event and I had a good time. Not as many wines as I had expected, but a good selection nonetheless. I met Kurtis and had a good chat as well as the Head Honcho Katie Langford, both were very approachable and pleasant.
In my groupie daze, I went and got my photo with my hero Neil Doddridge at the Dorrien Estate stand. See photo.
He was pretty cool about it and said it was the first time he had ever been asked :)

As for the wines, the first wine of the night was pretty good. An unreleased Icon wine from Black Wattle the Robe Shiraz 2006. At $50 a bottle it's expensive, but will be worth it in a year or so.
The last and probably best I tried was the Vasarelli Pallino Red Blend 2005. Again, unreleased and at $50 a bottle, it might be something for the cellar.
Will see what I can get them for or even previous vintages...

I did find a white that I liked and Jean is going to buy... the Stefano de Pieri Moscato 2006 @ $9 a bottle, basically a nice version of passion pop :)

Anyway, we went with Scott and Jeanine and had a nice dinner after at some place on the river at Southbank. Duck, Crocodile, Squid and Chicken... All cheap and pretty damn nice.
In all, quite a nice night and I look forward to more from Cellarmasters.

No comments: