Tuesday 23 October 2007

Cleanskin - Barossa Premium Old Vines Shiraz 2005


Well, this one came with a free copy of James Halliday's Australian Wine Companion and thankfully so... at $9.95 it was ok, but I have tasted cheaper cleanskins for better value.
Get Wines Direct are trying to tell me that it retails normally at $30 a bottle from a winery that has operated since 1837 *cough*

This wine came with absolutely no label at all. Nothing... Strange, but I'm sure it's not too unusual.

It was let breathe in the bottle for an hour and when I came to sniff the open bottle, it was not too bad... first glass was very smooth and warm. A good sign. But after that first glass it seemed to lose it's charm. It had a good generic flavour. Nothing stuck it's head out at me, but nothing made me recoil either.
I think that at $7.29 a bottle (including my free wine companion) it was not a bad drop. We had it with cheeses and that certainly helped.

Drinkability 87
Value 90
Price $9.95 (Get Wines Direct)

No comments: