Sunday 2 May 2010

d'Arenberg Coppermine Road Cab Sauv 2004 (McLaren Vale)



A little bit of a disappointment this one.
I'd opened it about 2 hours before dinner, so that we could take it in to Giardenetto's in the valley for our 6th anniversary.
Thought it might be a little bit special, but it didn't ring any bells for me.
Once it had opened up, it had a quite strong stewed fruit taste that whilst not unpleasant, was not what I had expected. There was a lot of earth to it and it did have an almost creamy finish, but the big fruity mouthfeel kinda left me wanting something else.

In fact it was later that I finished the Norman's basket pressed shiraz and it completely blew this away.
Granted that I do prefer shiraz and especially from the McLaren Vale region... but the Norman's had that 'it' factor.

I do have a few bottle of the Dead Arm Shiraz laying in wait, so I'm hoping that they redeem the good name of D'Arenberg.
At least in my untrained eyes.

Price: not sure, was a gift
Rating: 83 (sorry, but I wouldn't buy this again)

No comments: