Tuesday 11 November 2008

Ballandean Estate Wines Sylvaner 2005 (Granite Belt)


An Historic posting for my wine blog... my very first white wine. (So you know this has to be special)
After spending an awesome day at the Brisbane Good Food and Wine Show I am amazed that I didn't fall asleep on the train on the way home and end up in Caboolture... So glad I went.
Which is where I discovered this little beauty of a dessert wine from Queensland's own Ballandean Estate.
Now if you have read anything on this blog before you know that I am partial to my big reds. That hasn't changed, but since our trip to the Yarra Valley, I have learnt to like a few whites.
This is one of them. Definitely sweet and quite marmaladey in the mouth, this wine is still crisp and doesn't have an overly syrupy feel. It is very easy to drink and I am wishing I still had some cheese left as I finish off this bottle.
I have to say that I was impressed with the full range of Ballandean Whites, in particular the SSB and the Chardonnay. I'm so glad to see that our Queensland wineries can mix it with the southern states and I look forward to trying a lot more whites during the summer months.

Rating: 8.8/10 (hey, it's still a white wine) :)
Price: about $16 for the 375ml bottle from the cellar door at Ballandean Estate.

1 comment:

Oyun said...

thanks a lot.. it's very good article.