Saturday 22 March 2008

Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz 2005


My first taste of the latest Penfolds Bin range and this was a pleasant surprise. I have not really been a fan of the Bin 28 (not that I have had a lot of exposure to it, more because for the price there seemed to be a lot better on offer)
Anyway, this was great. It took a while to open up, but once it did it had a really pleasant feel to it. Very smooth and quite fruity (red berries and dare I say it... plum), but not in the usual Penfolds way. There was also a noticeable change in the style of oak used (to my taste anyway) and although it went away from the vanilla, it had a very distinctive flavour that I would like to explore again soon.
It will last a good few years, but is very drinkable now with a long decant. If the price stays around the $20 mark it's worth it, but really there are better wines around for less. Still, the Penfolds name must mean something and you can't really go wrong with a decent $20 shiraz.
Drinkability 91/92
Value 89
Price $20 at Dan Murphys

No comments: