Friday 18 January 2008

Devil's Lair Margaret River Cab Merlot 2005


This was as close as I'll come to winning the lotto... found this at my local BWS under the price code of the Devil's Lair 5th Leg. Now they were charging way too much for the 5th leg, but at $22 for the Margaret River Cab Sav Merlot, well... that was amazing.
Long story, but my honest side made me ask if they had the right price... the nice lady said that she'd made a mistake ordering this and they had to sell it as if it were the 5th Leg. Giddy up!!
I bought 4 bottles and will try to get the last three tomorrow :)
This is a fantastic wine. Earthy tones very much like the Abbey View Margaret River Cab Sav, but with more finesse. Once this wine opens up (and it took over an hour of breathing in the bottle, almost two hours) it has a superb blend of chocolate, coffee (mocha?) and berry. Dry and dusty too, but with very fine tannins. It's really a brilliant wine and I hope I can get the remaining three bottles.
Truly something special and proof that you have to pay a little more for quality. (even if you get it for nearly a third of the price)
Drinkability 93/94
Value 99 (at the cheap price, 89 at full price)
Price $22 for me in a chance of a lifetime... it retails for at least 2 or 3 times the price normally.

No comments: