Sunday 16 December 2007

Grant Burge Nebuchadnezzar Shiraz Cabernet 2003 (Barossa)



Got this as a special 6 pack with two other really cool named wines from Grant Burge (Balthazaar and the Holy Trinity) at a fairly good price and thought I should give them a chance... Grant Burge has a good name and these wines are 'Wines of Distinction' according to the website for Grant Burge.

It's a dry wine, not overly so, but enough to notice it above all else at first. Though I must admit that given a little more time the acidity dropped away and this wine became a nice lucious smoky rasberry, still dry, but a lot softer on the palate. On the nose it has a definite warm smokiness and really does have a great appeal.

A great mouthfeel and long finish.

It's about a half hour breathing before the real quality shows itself but when it does it has a taste of it's own (or at least one I haven't had before.

I'm not sure what this would cost outside of the deal I got from Cellarmasters, but it's worth a look. I am going to rate this higher than the 'Experts' like Mr Halliday who gave it a 90.

Drinkability 91
Value 90
Price $35 (apparently. though I got it in a six pack with two others for $130)

No comments: