Wednesday 26 December 2007

Grant Burge Filsell Shiraz 2005 (Barossa)

On a whim I went to Dan Murphy's today and bought a couple of bottles of this Grant Burge Filsell 2005. I am a bit of a fan of the Grant Burge wines and for the price I was hoping this would be great.

Word of warning, this wine can use decanting. I left it to breathe in the bottle for a couple of hours and that was barely enough. My initial tasting was quite tight and it took a little while longer to open up and display the delicious berry and hint of mint that I had been anticipating.

A smoky vanilla nose with firm but fine tannins and long finish mean this wine could use a few more years in the cellar. It's good now, but will improve greatly within a few years. So the second bottle I bought will just have to sit there :)

I'm going to buy a couple of the 2002 and see how that goes. Will let you all know...

Drinkability 91/92 (to be fair, this will improve in time)
Value 90
Price $23.80 (Dan Murphy's in any six pack)

No comments: