Friday 16 November 2007

Clonakilla 'The Hilltops' Shiraz 2006 (Canberra)

A long awaited delivery via my friend Kev Holyoak and despite the wrangle with Australia Post, I finally got to try my first wine from our capital territory.
Clonakilla comes with a mighty reputation thanks to James Halliday and it's Shiraz Voignier, which is meant to be as good as it gets...

This Shiraz is very young and it took a good three hours to breathe in the bottle before it gave up anything other than mint... but when it did it was a nice blend of fresh berries and a very smooth finish. Quite nice.

Unfortunately I had tasted too much of the mint and was a little off put. It's a good wine, but too young for now. My mistake, I guess, but you live and learn.

Will keep the other two bottles for a few years and see what happens...

Drinkability 90
Value 86
Price $26 (Wine Ark)

No comments: